Day Zero

The day before...

Up at 5 AM. The last few mornings have been cold so my mind's made up: the micro-fleece, merino hat and gloves are going back in the backpack. I'd rather pay the weight penalty than regret leaving essential gear in the poste restante box at home. I've spent enough nights shivering on cold forest floors to know better than that. 

My girlfriend and cohorts went on holiday to Torquay yesterday, leaving the normally bustling house quiet. I'd taken the precaution of writing down instructions last night in case I suffered from early morning brain fog; this ensured everything's been charged, folded, compressed and squared away. I let the air out of the tires on my road bike and locked it away in the garage. Fed the dogs. Emptied the fridge... 

Two weeks from now I might start looking like someone you'd throw change at on the street so I shaved my head to the bone. 

Then came the ceremony of dressing in my walking clothes: dark blue stretch trousers with the lower legs unzipped. Long-sleeve grey synthetic top. Sports socks and brand new running shoes (yes they're new out of the box; I know that's against standard walking protocol but these ones are factory ready). 

Oh and since it's likely to rain a lot the GoPro waterproof camera is coming with me (add more weight penalties). I gave my fully loaded backpack a final weigh on the luggage scale: 10.3 KG. Damn you, superfluous items! Let's cling to the scenario where I've sent most of the maps back home, eaten the food and am wearing the boots, that weight will be somewhere near 8.3 KG. Considering my body weight on departure day is 17 stone 12 pounds, there is perhaps room for improvement in other areas! That being said, I can run for an hour straight now (so nah nah-nah naaah nah!). Anyway...it is what it is. 

With every loose end tied up at home I said goodbye to the dogs and closed the door on that part of my life. Off to the train station? No, not quite. Off to work. 

Work  

Work is busy winding down for the summer break meaning I need to say my goodbyes for the second time today. I finish at 1 PM. Then off to the station at 14:00 for the 14:49 to Reading and the 15:33 to Penzance. 

Ah yes, Penzance. Let's check the weather forecast. Today's rain storm has now migrated to tomorrow afternoon, meaning Day One will be a wet one. Still, the wind will be at my back (wind push + walking poles = less effort).

At work I was presented with (what I presume is) a comedy gift and definitely not the first item of outdoor wear I've seen that's modelled by a Village People roadie (think of the construction worker with tool belt smeyesing at you on the front of the box). This item of kit is new to me; it is called a "Beverage Belt" - a waist slung ammo-pouch-style belt for beers. I admire it's ingenuity however sadly it is destined for the "reserve" box.  

Charity

Thank you to everyone who has made a donation to Helping Hands for the Blind, a respectable local charity. You can make a donation here. Using Gift Aid, the charity is able to claim an additional percentage of each donation from the government as part of the Gift Aid scheme.

While I am not tracking how much has been raised, the charity themselves may wish to do that; leaving a note with your donation such as "LEJOG" will help them do that. To be frank, it's more important that they receive donations than it is for me to take credit; they're actually doing something important whereas I am going on what could be described as a holiday.

My books

Lastly and leastly, I am an independent author. Writing is a pleasure even if reading it isn't! I will write an account of my LEJOG journey in the form of a book which hopefully will encourage other people to give LEJOG a try (and probably discourage many more). If you want a copy, the first batch will be given free of charge. Ask and you shall receive...

My other books are available on Amazon:

Nalakamataki!

Buggered at the Battle of San Sebastian

And...

...that's pretty much all there is to say. This is the last blog entry I will make myself until I return because I don't have a smart phone or a phone that's capable of interneting. I've gone primitive and have only a handset that talks and texts. Thanks to Sarah and Paige for volunteering to update the blog on my behalf.

I hope you enjoy the next six weeks of progress reports. And remember, while you're working 9-5 I'm walking 9-5. And I work on Sundays.

All the best,

Sam.

DAY 1


          



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

HOW TO USE POSTE RESTANTE (U.K.)

LEJOG - the route

Kit for a thousand mile walk